Sunday 29 December 2013

Curtains

These are the final printed lengths for my latest project - Space Invaders. I experimented with readymade patterns, transforming them through resist printing, overprinting, dying and bleaching. I learned that gloss binder resists well but was unable to rediscover how William Morris got his indigo to discharge.

I also learned to start looking a bit more slowly - even though I don't think I will ever stop printing too fast. I'm preparing some more resist designs - light projections taken from natural shapes and forms.  I'm inspired by the Japanese designer, Soetsu Yangagi who describes patterns - not as reproductions of nature but as new creations, visions of what is reflected by the imagination. So I've been keeping a pattern diary. Each day collecting at least 6 patterns from the world around me. It's becoming addictive.










No comments:

Post a Comment